Sunday, August 12, 2012

Final Composition

Last Monday I finished one of my favorite classes I took at BYU, contemporary dance. 
I did not grow up dancing... I actually grew up doing just the opposite. In high school I was an athlete, I played volleyball and ran track. Once I came to college though, I wanted to try something new and decided dancing would be a lot of fun. I started out with a History of dance class then took beginning ballet my freshman and sophomore year. My junior year I decided to switch it up since I wasn't quite getting the ballet technique down and took beginning jazz. I have always had an  interest in contemporary dance as that is probably the closest style to my crazy dancing at home so my senior year I decided to try contemporary out. 
I absolutely loved it!
Since my freshman year I've had a goal of performing in front of an audience sometime before I die.
I can proudly say I have finally accomplished that goal :) 
At the end of my contemporary class we had a final composition which was a 2 minute dance we had to choreograph our selves and perform in front of the class as well as others who were invited. Here is the dance my group choreographed. I was really happy about how it turned out!
Just a little disclaimer: the girls I danced with have been dancing for 20 years so try not to compare... I'm clearly not good but I can say I had so much fun doing it and although not good I at least feel a lot more confident!  
BTW I am the one starting on the left.   


I just hope this can motivate other people to get out there, try something new, and accomplish your goals because really anything is possible no matter the age you start it :) 

2 comments:

  1. you are amazing girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I did that ballet class for mothers last year with some of the women from the branch and we performed at the Christmas concert--it was terrifying but I am so proud of myself for doing it. And thank you for encouraging others to try something new!

    ReplyDelete